Sunday, March 08, 2009

Daylight Saving Time (DST) 2009

Most parts of the United States and a few other countries will have to move their clocks an hour earlier because Daylight Saving Time (DST) will start today, March 8, 2009.

DST is getting more light out of the day, especially during summer or spring. Clocks are set one hour ahead during the spring, and one hour back to standard time in the autumn. Though DST is often controversial, its general purpose is to save energy due to less artificial light needed during the evening hours. It also means that you have to wake up earlier, work earlier and sleep earlier. What an adjustment! Others say that DST is for health issues. It is part of healthy living to wake up early and sleep early.

Many countries observe DST, and many do not. The Philippines is not one of them this time. Check this link for the list of countries observing DST in 2009.

The Philippines introduced Daylight Saving Time between the years 1986 and 1998 to conserve energy. I remembered the early weeks of implementation. I was too lazy to rise up early and my parents had to drag me out from bed. First day I was late at school. The second, I was late again. I really did not understand DST then. When it ended, I was already an early riser. Of course, old habits die hard.

But honestly, I don’t really want the clock to be adjusted earlier than usual.

4 comments:

Oman said...

i can still vividly recall the effect of DST in my city in 1990 where an earthquake destroyed one of our school buildings here. it should have been recess time if not for DST and casualties should have been lesser.

Anonymous said...

sa baguio city ba yon, bro?
we really don't know what an hour difference would bring.

Francesca said...

Yang daylight saving time, minsan nakaka huli ng suspect. Sa late.

Meron french, pag dumarating sa church, lagi, late, para lahat kakita ng suot nyang alahas. Papansin.

Nong nag advance ng oras due to DST, haha. Tapos na ang misa nong dumating siya. Beeeeh...

Pauwi na mga tao, sino pa nonood ng alahas niya. Donya buding style siya.

Photo Cache said...

When I was very young, I think first grade or something; I remember there was DST in the PI.