Monday, February 19, 2007

Oh, When I Was In Love With You

Here’s another poem about love. I first encountered this one in high school literature class. This is one of my favorites.

XVIII. Oh, when I was in love with you
Alfred Edward Housman (1859–1936). from A Shropshire Lad. 1896.

OH, when I was in love with you,
Then I was clean and brave,
And miles around the wonder grew
How well did I behave.

And now the fancy passes by,
And nothing will remain,
And miles around they ’ll say that I
Am quite myself again.

0 ---- 0 ---- 0 ---- 0 ---

I remembered a classmate back in high school who was courting one of the prettiest girls in our 2nd year class. We were amazed at how behaved he was. We all knew he’s one of the class jesters. But this time, he was dead serious. Gone are the usual jokes. He said he wanted to look his best to impress the girl.

We just played along and let him do his stuff. But it’s kind of weird not seeing him laughing and making jokes here and there. His grooming improved. His curly hair seemed to be in a good place. His moves were carefully done. He looked like a real gentleman with the girl.

A few weeks passed and he was no longer with her. He arrived to class late and with uncombed hair. We asked him what happened. “We broke up” he curtly said. “I don’t want to talk about it”.

And so be it. We were glad he was back to his normal self again. His sense of humor returned to him, and we again enjoyed his company. But I haven’t heard anything about his love life after that, even years after we graduated from high school.

16 comments:

Francesca said...

When one is down, its normal, they prefer : i dont want to talk about it. LOL

Kasi who would be happy to share, I am a failure, even to girls.
But its part of growing up, and I said the same to margie and anjo.

Sagot nila: ngeeh, mama,tama na yung concentrate muna kami sa school, saka na love, love love...

NOSTALGIC si Lolo lazarus, hawa tuloy ako sa blog ko, haha

Anonymous said...

Some people prefer to keep things private. We should all respect that. :-)
Nice poem. This is so true!

munificent panyang said...

I enjoyed reading the story about your classmate in High School.Cool! Hehehe. Anyway, being witty and lighthearted as well is the best element to maintain a healthy and lasting relationship with the person you faithfully and genuinely LOVE.
:)

----------------------------------
Mark 13:31

Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will remain forever.

kendi 'ching said...

on erich segal: i had tachycardia reading ACTS OF FAITH. that's the only book i've read that he wrote. i have a hard time looking for copies of his other published works, specifically LOVESTORY and THE DOCTORS. but i'm planning to buy @ ebay.

Gee... i love erich segal... as in... thanks for dropping by...

Anonymous said...

Just like my younger years story,lol! kahiya yata, hehehe....

Anonymous said...

The poem is very apt to your classmate's story.

Anonymous said...

francesca, iba talaga yong love story mo. pwede yun sa MMK.

Alvin, we asked him about it when we were in college. He just laughed and said, "It's a funny experience. Nahihiya na ako sa kanya". We still got nothing of the story. he he.

Anonymous said...

phanyang/niceheart, na relate ko kasi ang poem dun sa experience ng classmate ko. It's awkward to suddenly behave differently because of pursuing someone.

vince,sori naalala mo tuloy mga love stories mo. lol!

kendi, it's difficult na to find Segal's books. Try mo RSO or booksale, and maybe you can ask them to contact you if they already have segal's book. Or perhaps NBS. Years ago, they have Love Story, Acts of Faith and the Class.

vernaloo said...

"I don"t want to talk about it" is also my favorite line last year hahaha

Anyway I thought you're gonna say that his curly hair straightened when he fell in love hrhrhr

Seriously one thing I learned is that you have to learn how to love without losing yourself. Change is good as long as it's for the better. Your HS friend "lost" his humor and behaved but then again that wasn't the real him. Oh well...the things we do in high school! I do hope that wherever he is now, he's happy :)

Btw I linked you Lazarus..hope you don't mind :)

Jan said...

It seems your friend was scarred that bad. Is it true that first cut's the deepest? *rambling*

vic said...

Hi thanks for the visit and I'm meeting the "guapa" here and I always love to quote her: "I don"t want to talk about it" is also my favorite line last year hahaha

And it is my favorite line for God knows how long now..can't even remember hehehe..well here the formula: bibs x 2 + 3 = ? don't worry let you know who you are figure it out....

Anonymous said...

totoo pala yan
akala ko sa mga drama shows lang may mga ganyang story :)

I like the poem by the way :)

Wil said...

My problem is that I always "talk about it". I never say "I don't want to talk about it." Kasi if I say that line, it's admitting the obvious, di ba? kaya why not just say what happened. Either that or I just lie. hehe. Pero I usually "talk about it." :)

Anonymous said...

sabagay bata pa naman siya non :) i mean, i dont personally believe in taking on another personality to make someone love you, pero yun nga, bata pa naman siya noon. :)

vernaloo said...

Verns <--- CLUELESS

hehehehe

Anonymous said...

wow, this reminds me of my ex. he was the same way when we got together. when i found out he was cheating on me, though. . . let's just say i didn't take it well. i've actually been reading this ebook to help me get over it. :(