Monday, June 20, 2016

Cleveland Cavaliers Win; So are the Fans



It wasn’t surprising for my Facebook timeline to be filled with NBA posts.  My friends are very passionate about this American sport. I could not help but post a few entries myself just to balance it out because most of them were rooting for the Golden State Warriors.  It’s Game 7 and the Warriors home court. How could LeBron and his team beat that?
Today, as I drove to the office, I kept checking the scores online and posted the FB suggestion.   All the write-ups prior to Game 7, and the betting odds were on the Warriors favour’. Cavs lead 70-63 when I first checked.  It changed favour, 76-75, a few minutes later.  I heard it rained treys in that span of time.  As I sat on my desk, I heard the chatter from the IT boys who were also monitoring the game on their PC.  It’s a seesaw battle they say.

My boss asked me to join him watch the game on TV.  How could I refuse?  He already knew that I had an outstanding bet with another colleague. It’s just a buffet lunch that could cost me my pants should Cleveland lose. Last 4 minutes and the game was tied at 89-all.

What I saw next were heart-thumping events: The block by James, the miss by Curry, the trey of Irving and the bad landing of James.  Whew! Stephen Curry, from being the unanimous season MVP, was brought down to earth by LeBron James.  “From unanimous to anonymous MVP” state a friend on his FB post.

Then all of a sudden, the FB posts of those rooting for the Cavaliers came rushing. I was all smiles as I read them.  Where are the GSW fans now?  Probably eating chicken curry.

During lunch with our company officers, the topic was still the game 7 results.  Those who rooted for the Cavs were all smiles now coz they won themselves free lunch.  It wasn’t really the buffet that I expected but at least it silenced all the pseudo-analysts of the opposing teams.  

One officer, who reluctantly rooted for the Cavs earlier in the series, quipped, “Our janitors are wiser than most of you because they are now collecting their wins.  They wisely rooted for the Cavs”.  We all had a good laugh.

No comments: