Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Scrabble


When I first saw the post of Abaniko a few months ago, I immediately visited the Internet Scrabble Club (ISC ) website and registered. But to my dismay, I could not download the program. It’s the firewall again.

I first played scrabble when I was grade 2. Except for my uncle, no one at the house could beat me. When he transferred, I took his place at the no.1 slot. But the games we played were not really challenging. There was actually no competition, except that our youngest sibling wanted so much to dislodge me. As always, I kept her at bay.

At school (elementary), no one played it. In high school, I was one of the better players. But I have no concrete proof, except that I beat most but got battered by a few. We played a few times at some family gatherings, youth gatherings and even against some kids. No sweat!

But last Saturday, when I was able to connect to a network sans the firewall, I remembered my registration at ISC. I downloaded the program and started playing. Some wiseguy noted my zero rating that he immediately challenged me. I gave him a tough game and beat him by more than 100 pts. I was instantly given a rating of 600+pts. Encouraged by my beginners’ luck, I played against a higher ranked player. He dumped me by more than 100 pts. (Nganong ni-enter!) My 2-day record: Won-lost-lost-won-lost. I currently have a rating of 612 after my 5th game.

I wanted to play more games but there was not enough time. I can’t stay forever at some wifi zones just to play scrabble. I tried connecting from the office network this lunch break, but again, those firewalls killed my excitement.

10 comments:

Tinunuy said...

Nakaka-challenge talaga maglaro, lalo na pag may nakakalaban kang mas magaling kesa sayo. :)

Anonymous said...

Haha. Me ganyan pala online. Masubukan nga minsan.

I grew up playing boardgames as well since my family is fond of it. Actually my mom and dad got developed playing scrabble. hihi

Anonymous said...

bilib ako sa mga tao na mahusay sa vocabulary, siguro frustrations ko talaga ang ingles. hehe. cge lang laro as long as you enjoy kahit di laging panalo.

Abaniko said...

Hey, let's play one time. My handle is "Abaniko". What's yours? Palit na lagi ug computer ba ug pagpakonek na sa internet sa balay. :)

jho said...

aahhhh, scrabble. masarap laruin yan. Pagaganahin talaga ang utak mo.

tin-tin said...

hala! may naimpluwensya si abaniko! hahaha. pero masaya naman maglaro ng scrabble. lalo na pag nananalo ka o hindi kalayuan ang pagkatalo mo. hehehe ;p

Lazarus said...

CM, the game is really challenging. you should try it too!

ferdz, you register also in the isc website. i think i saw some pinoy handles in there.

iskoo, win some, lose some. so far, i still have a losing percentage. 5 games pa lang eh.

Lazarus said...

abaniko, i tried checking your handle the last time pero wala ka eh. Or maybe you're on a different channel. Di ko pa masyadong kabisado eh. Without a free internet connection, di ko kadula ug scrabble.

jho, you try playing it online also. very enjoyable!

tin-tin, naimpluwensya nga. he he he. my 2nd win was unbelievable. I was down by more than a 150 points when I made a comeback.

zherwin said...

ahh firewall problems! you're not alone on this, i tried and failed so many times downloading it, so whenever they're talking about online scrabble, di ako maka-relate hehehe. i just enjoy my online sudoku.

hxero said...

weird... nagyon parang ala nko alam sa scrabble.. when sa high school ako lagi player sa intrams at sa high school days...