Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Joker Runs Over The Fed Express

It should have been the other way around. 7-5 6-3 7-6 rampage against the defending champion and world no. 1, is totally out-of-this-world.

Fence and I were sitting on wedding reception of a college friend when he was itching to leave his seat and watch the Roger-Novak Australian Open semi-final match at the hotel bar lounge.

"First set, Novak" he said.

"He'll bounce back" I assured him.

"I'll be drunk if Rog loses" he said.

A few minutes later, he went out then returned with shoulders down. "Novak second set".

Then after dinner he excused himself again. "Fed leads 4-3".

All of us were enjoying our friend's big day, but Novak "the Joker" Djokovic left my friend broken-hearted. "Can he turn things around?" I asked.

We all know the rest of the story. There won't be a Roger-Rafa showdown this time. New faces are emerging in this year's Grand Slam Tennis opener. I'm turning into a Joker convert. (You should know that I'm not talking about the Batman movie here)

But I'm not sure if my friend got drunk last night. He might delay the ritual when he returns to Manila tomorrow.

3 comments:

Leah said...

Aha, tennis fanatics, And Federer disappointed fan?

What a quick turnaround to Joker?
How was the wedding? Any dancing?

Anonymous said...

leah, the wedding went smoothly. i danced with my wife together with the couple.

i was not so concerned really about Fed's defeat. my friend was.

tin-tin said...

sad news for your friend but happy news for me. hehe ;p